Here are six things you should know about Ramadan:
1. Ramadan is celebrated for one month and consists of fasting, giving to charity, and studying the Quran.
2. Not everyone participates in the fast. There are exceptions and adjustments for those who may face illnesses, health issues, or old age.
3. Fasting hours depend on what country you’re in. In fact, it is determined by when the sun rises and when it sets. Greenland and Sweden have the longest fasting hours.
4. The fast begins at Fajr just before sunrise
5. There is a pre-meal right before sunrise called suhur.
6. The fast is broken at Iftar, a meal eaten on Ramadan after the sun sets.